News

Nasir el-Rufai, former governor of Kaduna State, spent Monday night in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over alleged N432 billion fraud.
El-Rufai arrived at the EFCC headquarters in Jabi, Abuja, around 11:00 a.m. on Monday, February 16, 2026, in response to an invitation reportedly issued in December.
Although he presented himself voluntarily, sources within the anti-graft agency disclosed that he was yet to be granted bail as interrogation continues today.
The probe is said to stem from a 2024 report by the Kaduna State House of Assembly, which accused El-Rufai’s administration between 2015 and 2023 of diverting public funds through multiple state channels.
A senior EFCC official confirmed that investigators are reviewing contracts and financial transactions executed during his eight-year tenure.
Tension flared at the EFCC premises as hundreds of supporters and critics gathered shortly after news of his appearance broke.
Supporters accused the federal government of political persecution, chanting solidarity slogans, while a group identified as the Mega National Movement for Good Governance demanded accountability, insisting that no public official is above the law.
Security operatives reportedly deployed teargas to disperse the crowd after clashes broke out between the opposing groups.
In a related development, the Department of State Services (DSS) has filed a three-count charge against El-Rufai at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
The charges, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, concern the alleged unlawful interception of telephone communications belonging to the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.
The filing followed a recent interview in which the former governor claimed he had listened to conversations in which Ribadu allegedly directed security operatives to arrest him upon his return from Egypt last week.
El-Rufai’s legal team, led by Ubong Akpan, described the investigations as arbitrary and a violation of his constitutional rights.
Meanwhile, indications emerged that the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) has also scheduled him for questioning on Wednesday, February 18.
As of Tuesday morning, it remained unclear whether the EFCC would seek a court order to extend his detention or proceed with formal charges.
Several of his former aides are reportedly already in custody as investigations continue.
-
Society News5 years ago
Jamaican man beheads wife after finding out their 6 kids are not his
-
Society News7 years ago
EXCLUSIVE: The Complete Story of Dolapo Awosika, John Fashanu and Prophet Kasali Sex Mess
-
News6 years ago
Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, His Membership Of Secret Cult, And Other Issues Touching On His Public Credentials Examined by Barr. PATRICK I. BIOSE
-
News6 years ago
BREAKING: Ajimobi’s daughter-in-law blast Gov. Makinde, says gov can’t surpass ex-Oyo gov
-
Society News6 years ago
The Rise and Fall of “Jumoke The Bread Seller”
-
News6 years ago
BREAKING: 2 arrested as NAF begins investigations into Tolulope’s death
-
Crime6 years ago
Exclusive: Female Aide Fingered In Oko Oloyun’s Murder + Banking Transactions That Nailed Husband
-
News6 years ago
BREAKING: Police take over Edo House of Assembly as APC, Oshiomhole move to seize control
You must be logged in to post a comment Login