Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has revealed that the anti-xenophobic protest which went wrong, led to loss of over 5,000 jobs in the state.
Sanwo-Olu condemned looting of goods in the shopping malls and also disclosed the number of jobs lost during an inspection of some facilities damaged during the protest which was hijacked by hoodlums. He said victims of the attack were indigenous stores and not even South African-owned businesses.
He said: ‘’We have seen the level of destruction at both Novare Plaza and Surulere plaza.
“The first is to condemn the act that had led to this destruction in strong terms. These are just enormous destruction of property. This is extensive destruction of people’s wealth.
“Unfortunately, during my inspection of both plazas, I discovered that those affected were all indigenous stores and companies.
“Even the names that are synonymous with South Africa, I could see that there were over 150 staffs that could not get to perform their duties because of the act.
‘’From the evidence shown, we realized that people also jumped in through some nearby properties within the community. All these are unimaginable.
‘’But really the lesson learnt from all these were that we all go back and check what are the social implications of what has happened and how can we learn from it.’’
‘’When people come into a store overnight to loot the goods, it is an act that must be condemned. With the act now, over 5000 people are out of job. These are places that Nigerians were the major ones affected.’’
We did not approve poster with MC Oluomo’s photo – UNILAG
The University of Lagos, has said it did not approve the banner which had the Caretaker Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in Lagos State, Musiliu Akinsanya, aka MC Oluomo, as one of the invited guests for a programme on the campus.
The university management, in a statement on Friday, September 20th dismissed the reactions trailing the invitation on the social media as mere propaganda. UNILAG had been attacked on social media on Thursday for inviting the transport union leader to the campus.
On Twitter, in particular, many had wondered why MC Oluomo was honoured with an invitation when a former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, was barred from addressing students when he was invited for a similar gathering a few weeks earlier.
The UNILAG Principal Assistant Registrar, Communication Unit, Mrs Taiwo Oloyede, confirmed that the event was organised by students in the Geography Department of the school and that it held on Tuesday.
She said, “The management of the University of Lagos hereby notifies parents, guardians and other stakeholders of the university that it is aware of the event to which the Lagos State Caretaker Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Musiliu Akinsanya, was allegedly invited.
“The event was a colloquium on ‘Transport Efficiency: Employing Lagos Terrain Alternatives.’ organised by the National Association of Geography Students (NAGS) on Tuesday, September 17, 2019. “Relevant stakeholders in the transport sector invited to the event were: Arc. Abiodun Dabiri, MD, Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA); Engr. Ibrahim Alhassan, Chairman, Nigerian Railway Corporation; Dr. Olusegun Spencer, Director, Amalgamated Mega-City Transport; Mr. Oluwadamilola Emmanuel, MD, Lagos Waterways Authority; Dr. Adewale Sanni, Station Manager, Lufthansa and Dr. Charles Asenime, LASU School of Transport, PG Coordinator.
“Although Alhaji Musiliu Akinsanya (MC Oluomo) was one of those to be invited, which informed the draft banner with his picture, currently trending on social media; the approved banner did not have Alhaji Akinsanya as an invited guest, neither did he attend the event.
“For the record, events are organised on campus to expose students to current trends in the academia and industries. During such events, experts and relevant stakeholders with considerable knowledge and experience on the theme of such activities are carefully selected and invited to come and share their thoughts with our students. The goal is to produce students that are locally relevant and globally competitive. Therefore, the general public is enjoined to disregard any propaganda making the rounds on social media about the propriety of inviting a particular guest or not.”
Lagos State governor gives N20,000 each to 315 returnees from South Africa
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State on Wednesday, September 18th gave N20,000 to each of the second batch of 315 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa.
The fresh batch of returnees arrived a week after another 187 Nigerians fleeing xenophobia came back from South Africa. The joyous returnees arrived at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 7.21p.m aboard an Air Peace B777 aircraft with registration number 5N-BWI.
The flight, which originated from the OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg was received by Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission and Air Peace Chairman, Allen Onyema. Also on ground was Jermaine Sanwo-Olu, Senior Special Assistant to the Lagos State Governor on Diaspora.
Presenting the token on behalf of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Jermaine Sanwo-Olu said that the money was a palliative for the returnees saying that the returnees from Lagos State would be transferred to the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF), where they would be trained on skill acquisition.
Abike Dabiri-Erewa also told newsmen that the returnees would be profiled according to their states and local governments of origin to complement the federal government’s effort in reintegrating them. She said apart from giving the returnees stipends to get back to their respective states, there was also a medical team on ground to provide assistance to those with medical conditions.
Armed robbery suspects and Cops killer arrested in Lagos
A team of detectives led by the Divisional Police Officer Igando, CSP Taiwo Kasumu, arrested three notorious armed robbery suspects on September 14th.
A statement released by the spokesperson of the police command, Bala Elkana, says the armed robbery gang terrorizes the Igando/Egan residential neighborhood mostly at night time. They arrived the neighborhood on three motorcycles with intent to rob along Ikotun-Igando road but the attempt was foiled by the police.
Bala says one of the suspects, Oseni Waheed, 32, was arrested at the scene with one locally made pistol while the rest escaped. He led detectives to Aribisala street in Egan where three of his fleeing accomplices were arrested.
Bala says the suspects were also on the wanted list of the State CID Yaba for series of robberies and murders including the murder of a Policeman under Amukoko Division during one of their robbery operations.
He added that investigation is ongoing and the suspects will be charged to Court.
World News11 months ago
I laughed when I read the story that I gave Israel ultimatum to return Nnamdi Kanu – Lai Mohammed
Society News10 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: The Complete Story of Dolapo Awosika, John Fashanu and Prophet Kasali Sex Mess
Crime6 months ago
Unbelievable! Isolog Pry. School AKUTE Teacher Allegedly Rapes 2 Children… teacher on The Run
Featured3 months ago
Lagos Property Magnate, TV Mogul In Messy Sex Scandal In Dubai
News6 months ago
NDLEA Closes In On Sanwoolu’s Aide, Funke Phillips
News5 months ago
Umar Mohammed Bago, Man With Passion For Service
News3 years ago
Audu Maikori retracts statement that 5 students of Kaduna state College of Education were killed in Southern Kaduna crisis
Business News9 months ago
The Story Of How Herbert Wigwe and Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede Took Over Access Bank