Connect with us

Society News

Believe it or not, EFCC just made Naira Marley and Zlatan future legends – Ayo Shonaiya

Published

on

Nigerian filmmaker, lawyer and entertainment consultant, Ayo Shonaiya has reacted to the ongoing Yahoo Yahoo saga which has already landed two rappers, Naira Marley and Zlatan in EFCC’s net in connection with an alleged case of internet fraud and money laundering. 

According to Shonaiya, ‘when I saw the picture posted today by EFCC about the “arrest” of Naira Marley, Zlatan Ibile and other persons, I had mixed emotions. On one hand, I liked it because this is “that picture”. Just like world famous celebrities who have at some point in their lives (often during their youth) run afoul of the Law, and their mugshots become famous, even to the point of people printing it on T-shirts’. 

See the rest of his post below….

Lil’ Wayne, James Brown, Snoop Dogg, Jay-Z, Frank Sinatra, the Kray Twins, Hugh Grant, and of course notorious drug lord & the ultimate baddest outlaw, Pablo Escobar! Remember Pablo Escobar used drug money to “help” the Colombian economy? And loads of Colombians prayed for him. You know in the Nigerian music industry we have Bad, Baddo, Baddest, & Young Pablo. I myself even appeared in a short film recently called “Narcos Lagos”!

It’s all creativity and Art. Believe it or not, they have just made Naira Marley & Zlatan future legends!!! And I promise you I love all these guys. The ones that know me personally know this. Bad ass creative minds!  

But, on the other hand, the infamous mugshots of the other “legends” were for what I call “personal” crimes. Even though every crime is bad, they were not crimes that labelled their countrymen & women with a negative identity, & also didn’t adversely affect the reputations of millions of their fellow citizens (maybe Colombia with the drugs, but you get my point).

The crime in question in the EFCC pic is FRAUD! Let’s stop saying “Yahoo Yahoo” because it has obviously become cool to a lot of youths now. We desperately need to re-strategise the war against crime in our country, from the “top” to the bottom. 

So, while the other mugshots are for personal crimes that only themselves got punished for, our own future legends pic is about glamourising a crime that 180 MILLION Nigerians pay for everyday, in all ramifications & all over the world, as we are ALL seen as fraudsters and thieves.

This is the painful difference between the other infamous pictures & our own. And this is why, on the real, I am also sad about this picture. 
Ayo Shonaiya – The Documentary on Afrobeats is loading…

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Crime

Togolese cook seeks plea bargain in Credit Switch CEO’s murder…as wife gives own account

Published

on

30-year-old Togolese cook, Sunday Anani, charged with the murder of the Chief Executive Officer of Credit Switch Ltd, Chief Opeyemi Bademosi, yesterday Tuesday May 21st, asked the Lagos state High Court in Igbosere to grant him a plea bargain agreement with the government.

Recall that 67-year-old Bademosi was stabbed to death at his home in Parkview estate, Lagos state in October last year. Anani fled the scene of the incident and was later arrested in his hideout in Ondo state.

At the commencement of proceedings on Tuesday, Anani’s counsel, the Director of the Office of the Public Defender (OPD), Mrs Aderenra Adeyemi, informed the court of his decision to a plea bargain. Adeyemi told Justice Mobolanle Okikiolu-Ighile that Anani would be opting for a plea bargain deal and that the defence had approached the prosecutor, Lagos State Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bay, to that effect.

Meanwhile the wife of the deceased, Mrs. Ebunoluwa Bademosi, yesterday, gave her own account of what transpired on the sad day her husband was gruesomely murdered. Mrs Bademosi told the gory story of how she returend from work to find her husband in a pool of blood.

“I went through the kitchen door to gain access to the building. The kitchen door was locked. I knocked several times, calling on the defendant (Anani), but he didn’t come to open the door. My husband’s bedroom and the kitchen door was a distance, so I felt he (Anani) must be doing something for him, so I waited by the kitchen door, for a while. While i was waiting, I got a call from my sister, at Ibadan and we spoke for about 5-6 minutes. ’At some point, I brought out my phone from my bag and called my husband, I realised that the phone was being picked but he was not responding. I called him twice and it was the same thing. It was showing minutes counting but nobody was talking.

‘’I went downstairs and decided to pass through the front door, thinking if I got there, there would be somebody at the door. By the time i got to the front door, I realised that the door was left ajar.”

Mrs Bademosi said she immediately suspected something bad had happened.

“I entered the apartment. By the time I got in, I looked up and saw blood flowing out of my husband’s bedroom. I couldn’t enter my husband’s bedroom because the door was only partially open but I could see his body lying on the floor. I wasn’t sure of what could be happening inside the bedroom, so, I ran out of the building and started screaming, calling neighbours to help. A couple of people came. I told them to go up and check that something was happening, that I didn’t know what exactly it was” she said

Mrs. Bademosi told the court that she ran to the gate and asked the security man,

“Where is that guy that oga brought into the house? What is happening? Who is inside the house?”

The guard said the defendant informed him the deceased sent him on an errand.

“People started coming, my next door neighbours and her driver were going upstairs and I followed them but i stood at a distance. They came out and said he was gone (sobbing), my husband was gone, and the defendant was not inside the house, then i passed out. When I woke up, I saw a crowd around me, inside the house, my husband’s corpse was lying down there. They took me downstairs because they didn’t want me to see the corpse. The police later came and took his corpse in an ambulance, he was buried on November 21, 2018? she said

Mrs Bademosi refuted claims that she had a strained relationship with her deceased husband.

“I had a very cordial relationship with my husband. I cooked for my husband”.

The case was adjourned till June 11 for continuation of trial.

Continue Reading

Society News

Presidency Issues Directive To Clear Apapa Port Congestion Within 2 Weeks

Published

on

*Commences emergency clean-up of the Apapa gridlock

*Trucks, tankers to vacate Port Access Roads within 72 hours from this morning

A Presidential directive has been issued for the immediate clearing up of the Apapa gridlock and the restoration of law and order to Apapa and its environs within 2 weeks. The directive mandates the immediate removal of all trucks from the bridges and roads within Apapa and all adjoining streets leading into the Apapa axis.

To facilitate this important assignment, operators of trucks and tankers have also been directed to vacate the Port Access Roads within the next 72 hours.

This directive follows an emergency meeting convened by President Muhammadu Buhari and chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, on the 25th of April, 2019. The meeting proffered lasting solutions to the gridlock around the Lagos Ports, as the traffic congestion has continued to restrict all operations and livelihood in the area.

At the meeting were key heads and representatives of relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) of government, including the Honourable Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola; Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Adamu; representative of the Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral B.E.E Ibe-Enwo; Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Ministry of Transportation, Dr. Salaam Taiwo Olufemi; and the Executive Director, Marine and Operations, Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Dr. Sokonte Davies, among others.

Consequently, a Presidential Taskforce, chaired by Vice President Osinbajo was established to restore law and order to the area within 2 weeks. The Taskforce, which will report directly to the President, has included on its Terms of Reference the development of an efficient and effective management plan for the entire port area traffic, including the cargo, fuel distribution and business district traffic; enforcing the permanent removal of all stationary trucks on the highway, and the development of an effective manual truck call-up system, pending the introduction of the electronic truck call-up system. It also includes the implementation of a workable Empty Container Return and Export Container Truck Handling Policy, amongst others.

Members of the taskforce include Mr. Kayode Opeifa, former Commissioner of Transport in Lagos State, as the Executive Vice Chairman; a representative of the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC); the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA); and the Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC).

Other members include a special unit of the Nigeria Police Force led by a Commissioner of Police, representatives of the Truck Transport Union, the Lagos State Government through the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), and other relevant MDAs.

The Nigerian Navy and all other military formations have also been mandated to withdraw from traffic management duties in and around the Apapa axis, while military and paramilitary checkpoints in front of the ports and environs are to be dismantled.

In addition, LASTMA has been authorised to move into Apapa as the lead traffic management agency, while the NPA is to commence the immediate use of the Lilypond Terminal and Trailer Park A as a truck transit park. The directive further mandates compliance by all security personnel and MDAs, while heads of the Nigerian Ports Authority, Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing, and all other security operatives are to ensure their officers’ adherence to the new directives.

Laolu Akande
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity
Office of the Vice President
22nd May 2019

Continue Reading

Business News

FG to ban individual ownership of cooking gas cylinders

Published

on

The federal government says consumers of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) also known as cooking gas won’t be allowed to own cylinders anymore.

Speaking at a stakeholders’ forum on LPG penetration in Abuja on Tuesday, Ibe Kachikwu, minister of state for petroleum resources, said the government will introduce a policy that would require that the ownership of the cylinders rests strictly with the dealers and distributors.

He said the policy was part of the strategy to deepen LPG penetration and address issues of safety.

Represented by Brenda Ataga, his senior technical assistant, Kachikwu said the government has reached an agreement with two original cylinder manufacturers to deliver 600,000 cylinders to LPG distributors on credit, with a payback period of 18 months.

He said the government will soon commence a clampdown exercise on illegal roadside LPG dealers and advised all skid operators to “immediately convert their outlets to micro distribution centres (MDCs) before the enforcement begins”.

Ataga explained that consumers would only pay for the content of cylinders when the exercise begins.

“The MDCs will essentially create and introduce into the market what we call the cylinder exchange programme, whereby the cylinders are owned by the distributors.

“There is no need for you to decant for anybody that comes in, and that eliminates illegal risks as well.

“You would fill them at the refill plants that would be tied to you and exchange it with your customers because you know your customers already.

“Your customers pay for only the content, while you own the cylinders and control the management of those cylinders.

“It is for us to be able to, at any point in time, discern and discover cylinders that are bad, cylinders that need recertification and cylinders that need to be removed from circulation.

“We put that onus on distributors going forward, to support the safe and standard method of selling LPG.

“I tell you today that Nigeria is the only country in West Africa that does not practice the re-circulation model.

“Everyone has moved away from this because, again, most of the population cannot afford cylinders. So, you have to remove that cost from them.”

In 2015 when he was the group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Kachikwu had said the government had plans to distribute gas cylinders to households at no cost.

Continue Reading

Trending