Connect with us

Crime

Why I threw away my newborn baby – Poly student

Published

on

The student of Federal Polytechnic Oko, Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State who threw away her newborn baby from a storey building after delivery has confessed to the crime, saying that she did so because she could not ascertain who the baby’s father is.

The baby girl was allegedly thrown away in connivance with her boyfriend and an HND 1 student of Business Administration who volunteered his room for the delivery.

However, fate kept the baby alive as she landed on the barbed wire fence of the building with her leg stuck in-between the wires, leading to her discovery and rescue.

Addressing journalists in Awka during a press conference on Friday, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Haruna Mohammed, said mother and child are currently in the hospital receiving treatment.

According to him, the baby sustained injury on one of her legs while her mother is sick.

Haruna, who addressed journalists on behalf of the state Commissioner of Police (CP) John Abang, also paraded over 150 suspected criminals. The suspects include 108 cultists, a 15-year-old gunrunner and a four-man car snatching syndicate.

The PPRO said the arrests were made within the week police games were going on.

Haruna said: “On the 5/3/2020 at about 6:30pm, Police Surveillance Team attached to B Division Awka in conjunction with UNIZIK Security arrested one Sunday Thankgod ‘m’ aged 18 years of Opobo-Nkoro in Rivers State.

“108 suspected cultists were arrested in diverse parts of the state, during raids by security agents. Most of them confessed to being members of several cult groups, while diverse exhibits were recovered from them.

“Suspect were arrested with a bag containing two locally made single barrels short guns,five cartridges and dry leaves suspected to be Cannabis Sativa.

“The arrests were made within last week, when the state had over 3,000 police athletes participating in the game and 15,000 visitors.”

Among those paraded was 18-year-old Sunday Thankgod suspected to be a gunrunner.

The police spokesman said Suspect was assisting the Police with useful information that would aid investigation after which he and his accomplices will be brought to justice.”

Haruna further added that patrol team attached to bridge head division while on patrol at Niger street by service lane, bridge head Onitsha also arrested a middle-aged man with a bag in his possession containing two thousand pieces of live cartridges.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Crime

IGP bars detention for minor offences over coronavirus

Published

on

Mohammed Adamu, inspector-general of police (IGP), has barred police officers from detaining suspects for minor offences over the coronavirus outbreak.

In a statement on Sunday, Frank Mba, police spokesman, quoted the IGP as saying detention should be reduced to the barest minimum, and only for “serious offences”.

Police stations across the country are known to be filled beyond their capacity.

Mba said: “The IGP, while urging officers to observe personal safety measures, further directs the Zonal AIGs and Command CPs to ensure that cases of unnecessary arrests and detention of suspects are not condoned.

“He reiterates that detention of suspects must be reduced to the barest minimum and that only very serious cases such as terrorism, armed robbery, homicide and other non-bailable offences should warrant detention.”

The police IG also asked officers nationwide to ensure all orders given by relevant authorities to curb the spread of the virus are “strictly enforced”.

He also directed that necessary measures should be taken to screen persons that would be held in custody.

“The IGP enjoins citizens to avoid social visits to police stations and other police offices and minimize official visits, except where absolutely necessary,” the statement added.

“Also, in compliance with the Federal Government’s directive that all tertiary institutions be shut, the IGP has ordered the immediate closure of the Nigeria Police Academy as well as all Police Primary and Secondary Schools nationwide.”

Adamu asked all police commissioners to immediately publish phone numbers of their command control rooms, area commanders and divisional police officers (DPOs) “to facilitate alternative interacting and reporting options between the public and the police”.

Nigeria has 27 cases of coronavirus across five states as of Sunday morning.

Apart from shutting down schools, some states have asked workers not to go to office so as to curb the spread of the disease.

Continue Reading

Crime

EFCC Arraigns Saraki’s Cousin Over Alleged N220m Contract Scam

Published

on

The Ilorin  Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC) on Thursday arraigned one Ope Saraki,  a Cousin of the immediate past President of the Nigerian Senate,  Dr Bukola Saraki on two count charges bordering on contract scam to the tune of over two hundred million naira. Saraki was arraigned before Justice Adenike Akinpelu of the Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin.

 The EFCC alleged that the Defendant while serving as Special Adviser to the Kwara State Government knowly acquired a contract of supply 13 Ambulances to General Hospitals into a company of interest. Count one of the Charge reads “That you, Ope Saraki, Sometime in 2012 whilst being the special adviser to the Governor of Kwara State on Millennium Development Goals (MDG) within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court knowingly acquired indirectly a private interest in contract worth N171,990,000.00 (One Hundred and Seventy One Million, Nine Hundred and Ninety Thousand Naira) awarded to chemistry Nigeria Limited, for the purchase of 13 units of Ambulances for 13 general/specialist hospital in Kwara State, contract connected to your office contrary to section 12 of the corrupt practices and other Related Offences Act, 2000 and punishable under same law.” 

Saraki pleaded not guilty. Prosecuting Counsel,  Sesan Ola told the Court, ” in view of the plea of the defendant,  the prosecution is praying for a trial date , we also asked that the Accused Person be remanded in the custody of the Nigeria Correctional Service pending the hearing and determination of the case” Defence Counsel,  Dr Joshua Olatoke however urged the Court to grant bail to his client pending the hearing and determination of the case stating  that the Saraki would not bail as his international passport had been  in the Custody 

Justice Akinpelu in her bench ruling granted bail in the sum of three hundred million naira to the accused Person. Justice Akinpelu said the Defendant must produce two sureties with  with verifiable addresses.

Continue Reading

Crime

Alleged $2.1bn arms deal: 78 companies collected money from Dasuki without executing any contract, witness tells court

Published

on

A Prosecution Witness, Kazeem Yusuf, on Friday, alleged that 78 companies collected various sums of money from the office of the former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), without executing any contract.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in 2015 charged former Minister of State, Finance, Bashir Yuguda, Dasuki, a former Sokoto State governor, Attahiru Bafarawa, his son, Sagir and his company, Dalhatu Investment Limited, with 25 counts bordering on criminal breach of trust, misappropriation of public fund to the tune N19.4 billion.

Being led in evidence, by EFCC Counsel Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), Yusuf alleged that sometime in November, 2015, EFCC received a petition from the ONSA’s office, signed by one A.A.Ibrahim.

He stated further that the matter was assigned to a team, including himself, set up by EFCC Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu.

Yusuf stated that Dalhatu Investment Limited collected a total of N4.7 billion.

He alleged that about N1.1 billion was paid into the account of Javvama Ada Global Investment Nigeria Limited.

The witness said that investigation by the team revealed that Sagir was the director of Dalhatu Investment Limited and he was invited for interrogation.

“Sagir Bafarawa told EFCC that the money he received from Office of the National Security Adviser was for prayer.

“Later, he came with a booklet with a forwarding letter dated November 23, 2016 outlining how he expended the money.”

Among those who received from the money, the witness revealed, were All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Assembly candidate in the 2015 election in Kaduna State, Muhammed  Soba and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) gubernatorial candidate in Sokoto State, Ambassador Abdallah Wali.

He alleged that Soba told EFCC that he got N85 million from Bafarawa to “help” nine of them who were members of the Kaduna State House of Assembly in the campaign for the 2015 election.

“He, however, refused to mention the names of the remaining eight people who received their own shares,” the witness told the court.

He alleged that Wali got N288 million through three companies for his gubernatorial election.

He added that from the amount, he (Wali) bought a fairly used Peugeot 406 vehicles for all the 23 PDP local government chairmen in Sokoto State for N1.3 million each.

The witness further stated that all the 23 chairmen were invited but only 17 reported.

He further told the court that they all confirmed that the vehicles were given to them to support Wali’s aspiration.

“We recovered 17 vehicles from the chairmen who reported to EFCC.

“Wali also bought bags of rice and 800 motorcycles for distribution to his supporters.

After listening to the testimony, Justice Hussein Yusuf of an FCT High Court, adjourned the matter until April 23 and April 24 for continuation of hearing.

Continue Reading

Trending