Connect with us

Lagos Matters

We’ve rescued all trapped victims, says LASEMA

Published

on

Adeshina Tiamiyu, general manager of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), says there is no casualty left under the debris of the collapsed three-storey building in the Ita-Faaji area of Lagos Island.

Tiamiyu spoke with journalists at the site of the incident on Thursday morning.

“We stopped work at 3am after recovering the lifeless body of a male and we are sure there is no casualty left under the debris,” he said.

Tiamiyu, however, said he could not give the casualty figure but the ministry of health would release the accurate figure later in the day.

However, some residents have faulted the claims of LASEMA, insisting that there are still casualties in the debris

The building, which housed a primary school on its second floor, caved in on Wednesday morning while pupils were in their classrooms.

At least 12 people, including nine children, have been confirmed dead.

When he visited the scene on Wednesday, Akinwunmi Ambode, governor of Lagos, said buildings within the vicinity would be subjected to integrity tests, adding that any building that failed the test would be demolished.

“This area and building here will be undergoing an integrity test. As you can see some of the buildings have been marked for demolition,” Ambode had said.

“We have been receiving pleas from house owners from the area. Notwithstanding, we will go ahead with the integrity test and any building that fails the integrity test will be demolished.

“But the most important thing now is to save more lives before we talk about dealing with the culprit.”

Many families have been counting their losses in the incident. Abdulfatah Ayoola, a trader who lost his 6-year-old son, explained how another family lost four children in the incident.

“I know of a family who lost four of their children in the building, what will be their fate?” he had asked,

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Lagos Matters

We did not approve poster with MC Oluomo’s photo – UNILAG

Published

on

The University of Lagos, has said it did not approve the banner which had the Caretaker Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in Lagos State, Musiliu Akinsanya, aka MC Oluomo, as one of the invited guests for a programme on the campus.  

The university management, in a statement on Friday, September 20th dismissed the reactions trailing the invitation on the social media as mere propaganda. UNILAG had been attacked on social media on Thursday for inviting the transport union leader to the campus.  

On Twitter, in particular, many had wondered why MC Oluomo was honoured with an invitation when a former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, was barred from addressing students when he was invited for a similar gathering a few weeks earlier.  

We did not approve poster with MC Oluomo?s photo - UNILAG

The UNILAG Principal Assistant Registrar, Communication Unit, Mrs Taiwo Oloyede, confirmed that the event was organised by students in the Geography Department of the school and that it held on Tuesday.

She said, “The management of the University of Lagos hereby notifies parents, guardians and other stakeholders of the university that it is aware of the event to which the Lagos State Caretaker Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Musiliu Akinsanya, was allegedly invited.  

“The event was a colloquium on ‘Transport Efficiency: Employing Lagos Terrain Alternatives.’ organised by the National Association of Geography Students (NAGS) on Tuesday, September 17, 2019.  “Relevant stakeholders in the transport sector invited to the event were: Arc. Abiodun Dabiri, MD, Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA); Engr. Ibrahim Alhassan, Chairman, Nigerian Railway Corporation; Dr. Olusegun Spencer, Director, Amalgamated Mega-City Transport; Mr. Oluwadamilola Emmanuel, MD, Lagos Waterways Authority; Dr. Adewale Sanni, Station Manager, Lufthansa and Dr. Charles Asenime, LASU School of Transport, PG Coordinator.  

“Although Alhaji Musiliu Akinsanya (MC Oluomo) was one of those to be invited, which informed the draft banner with his picture, currently trending on social media; the approved banner did not have Alhaji Akinsanya as an invited guest, neither did he attend the event.    

“For the record, events are organised on campus to expose students to current trends in the academia and industries. During such events, experts and relevant stakeholders with considerable knowledge and experience on the theme of such activities are carefully selected and invited to come and share their thoughts with our students.  The goal is to produce students that are locally relevant and globally competitive. Therefore, the general public is enjoined to disregard any propaganda making the rounds on social media about the propriety of inviting a particular guest or not.”

Continue Reading

Lagos Matters

Lagos State governor gives N20,000 each to 315 returnees from South Africa

Published

on

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State on Wednesday, September 18th gave N20,000 to each of the second batch of 315 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa.  

The fresh batch of returnees arrived a week after another 187 Nigerians fleeing xenophobia came back from South Africa. The joyous returnees arrived at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 7.21p.m aboard an Air Peace B777 aircraft with registration number 5N-BWI.  

The flight, which originated from the OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg was received by Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission and Air Peace Chairman, Allen Onyema. Also on ground was Jermaine Sanwo-Olu, Senior Special Assistant to the Lagos State Governor on Diaspora.

Presenting the token on behalf of Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Jermaine Sanwo-Olu said that the money was a palliative for the returnees saying that the returnees from Lagos State would be transferred to the Lagos State Employment Trust Fund (LSETF), where they would be trained on skill acquisition.

Abike Dabiri-Erewa also told newsmen that the returnees would be profiled according to their states and local governments of origin to complement the federal government’s effort in reintegrating them. She said apart from giving the returnees stipends to get back to their respective states, there was also a medical team on ground to provide assistance to those with medical conditions.

Continue Reading

Lagos Matters

Armed robbery suspects and Cops killer arrested in Lagos

Published

on

A team of detectives led by the Divisional Police Officer Igando, CSP Taiwo Kasumu, arrested three notorious armed robbery suspects on September 14th.

A statement released by the spokesperson of the police command, Bala Elkana, says the armed robbery gang terrorizes the Igando/Egan residential neighborhood mostly at night time. They arrived the neighborhood on three motorcycles with intent to rob along Ikotun-Igando road but the attempt was foiled by the police.

Bala says one of the suspects, Oseni Waheed, 32, was arrested at the scene with one locally made pistol while the rest escaped. He led detectives to Aribisala street in Egan where three of his fleeing accomplices were arrested. 

Bala says the suspects were also on the wanted list of the State CID Yaba for series of robberies and murders including the murder of a Policeman under Amukoko Division during one of their robbery operations.

He added that investigation is ongoing and the suspects will be charged to Court. 

Continue Reading

Trending