Motunrayo Rafiu, a graduate of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, who regained her freedom last Sunday after spending six days in the den of kidnappers has narrated her ordeal.
She was released after her family paid a ransom of N1 million.
She told ThePunch that her abductors were Fulani herdsmen who disguised in army uniform.
Motunrayo Rafiu was abducted on February 4, 2020, by suspected kidnappers in the Kabba area of Kogi State, while she was on her way to resume at the Abuja campus of the Nigerian Law School.
It was gathered that when Rafiu could not be reached on her telephone, she was declared missing by her friends, who posted her pictures on social media.
Rafiu, who spent six days in the kidnappers’ den, was released on Sunday
Narrating her ordeal in the den of her abductors, the 22-year-old noted that she and other victims were made to walk barefooted in what she described as a wilderness.
“While on my way to resume at the Nigerian Law School, Abuja, just before Obajana in Kogi State, we saw that some people numbering about 20 in army uniform blocked the road and we thought that they were soldiers on a routine patrol. But all of a sudden, they started shooting continuously and everybody ran for safety. They, however, caught up with us.
“At first, I wondered if they were Boko Haram insurgents or Fulani herdsmen because they wore masks and had sophisticated guns. You don’t have a choice but to cooperate with them.
“Eight people were abducted and we were made to trek into the wilderness. We trekked and climbed rocks barefooted for the six days we spent in their den; we were treated like cows. If you dared to walk behind them, they would flog you as if they were dealing with cows.
“When we got to their base, some of their workers that also rear cows came to greet them and they started dishing out instructions to the workers. I was made to cook food for the rest of the passengers; we were given rice and palm oil to eat.
“I only urinated three times for the whole six days because we had to take permission before we could do anything. While I was there, I believed that I would come out alive; I encouraged the other victims.”
On the ransom, Rafiu said:
“When they demanded N5m from my family, I told them the situation of things at home and where my mother works so the ransom was reduced to N1m, while others paid N2m and above, depending on their status. No one should go through this kind of experience.”
Ghanaian man who impregnated his 14-year-old daughter, sentenced to 20 years in prison
A 42-year-old man, Daniel Kwame Baah, who engaged in incest and impregnated his daughter in the process has been sentenced to 20 years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court.
The convict, a trader, was dragged before the court last Friday and charged with the offense of defilement and incest.
He pleaded guilty to the charges and the court presided over by Christiana Cann convicted him on his own plea but deferred his sentencing to today, Monday February 24.
The convict is said to have forcibly had sex with his own daughter and continued to sexually abuse her on multiple occasions.
His first encounter with the victim, who is 14, and the oldest of his five children is said to have occurred in June last year when he forcibly inserted his finger into her private part while she slept.
He then had canal knowledge of her after the incident and continued to sexually abuse her until she became pregnant.
The vile act was uncovered by the Girl Child Advocate attached to the Anyaa L/A Primary School when they saw the pregnant victim in school uniform and questioned her.
She narrated her ordeal and the matter was reported to the police and the convict was arrested.
Daniel Kwame Baah faced two counts of defilement of a child under the age of 16 and incest.
The court in passing judgment took into consideration the graveness of the offense and the need to serve as deterrent to others who may attempt to do similar thing.
The judge sentenced Daniel Kwame Baah to 20 years’ imprisonment in hard labour for each count. But the sentences will run concurrently so he will serve 20 years instead of 40.
How SARS Killed Our Vice Captain …Remo Stars Football Club
Remo Stars Football Club (RSFC) Assistant Captain and Defender, Tiyamu Kazeem (Kaka) has been killed by a policeman from the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) from the Ogun State Command.
The incident occurred this afternoon (Saturday) in Sagamu while he was driving along Sagamu area of Ogun State with one of his teammates, Sanni Abubakar.
According to an eyewitness, he claimed that the SARS officer stopped the footballer to label him a Yahoo Boy and they insisted on taking him to the nearby police station.
“The SARS officer stopped Tiyamiyu Kazeem insisting that he was a Yahoo Boy, he brought out his identity (ID) card to identify himself as a player of Remo Stars FC but the officer insisted on taking him to the nearest police station in Sagamu.”
“Tiyamiyu and Sanni obliged, followed the SARS officers, only for them to notice that they were driving towards Sagamu-Abeokuta Expressway, then the guys questioned to know were the SARS officers were taking them to, but this prompted them to stop the car and push him (Tiyamiyu) out of the car, whereby an unknowing vehicle knocked him down.”
He was immediately rushed to Fakoya Hospital in Sagamu, where it was confirmed that Tiyamiyu Kazeem was no more.
Until his death, he was a humble and reliable defender for Remo Stars FC in the ongoing 2019/2020 Nigeria National League (NNL).
May his soul rest in perfect peace and may the Lord help the family to bear the irreparable loss, this is a great loss to Remo Stars Family and the entire football fraternity.
Maryam Sanda appeals death penalty
Following her conviction by an FCT High Court over the alleged killing of her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, Maryam Sanda has approached the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, asking the court to set aside the verdict and acquit her.
Sanda, who was sentenced to death by hanging by Justice Yusuf Halilu on Jan. 27, said the trial judge “was tainted by bias and prejudices.”
According to her, this led to the denial of her right to fair hearing and her consequent conviction based on circumstantial evidence despite the reasonable doubt that was created by evidence of witnesses, lack of confessional statement, absence of murder weapon, lack of corroboration of evidence by two or more witnesses and lack of autopsy report to determine the true cause of her husband’s death.
In a notice of appeal predicated on 20 grounds and filed by her legal team composed of Rickey Tarfa, SAN, Olusegun Jolaawo, SAN, Regina Okotie-Eboh and Beatrice Tarfa, the applicant said the judgment of the trial court was completely “a miscarriage of justice.”
She pointed to the failure of the trial judge to rule, one way or the other, on her preliminary objection, challenging the charge preferred against her and the jurisdiction of the court as evidence of bias and a denial of her right to fair hearing as constitutionally guaranteed.
In her application, she said: “The honourable trial judge erred in law when having taken arguments on the appellant’s preliminary objection to the validity of the charge on the 19th of March, 2018 failed to rule on it at the conclusion of trial or at any other time.
“The trial judge exhibited bias against the defendant in not ruling one way or the other on the said motion challenging his jurisdiction to entertain the charge and therefore fundamentally breached the right to fair hearing of the defendant.”
In ground II, the appellant contended that the trial judge erred and misdirected himself by usurping the role of the police when he assumed the duty of an Investigating Police Officer (IPO) as contained in Page 76 of his judgment.
It was submitted that “the circumstantial evidence which the trial court relied upon in its application of the last seen doctrine does not lead to the conclusion that the defendant is responsible for the death of the deceased.”
Consequently, Sanda prayed the Court of Appeal to allow her appeal, set aside her conviction and sentence imposed by Justice Halilu and acquit her
No date has been fixed for hearing in the matter.
Society News1 year ago
EXCLUSIVE: The Complete Story of Dolapo Awosika, John Fashanu and Prophet Kasali Sex Mess
Crime6 days ago
Exclusive: Female Aide Fingered In Oko Oloyun’s Murder + Banking Transactions That Nailed Husband
Crime11 months ago
Unbelievable! Isolog Pry. School AKUTE Teacher Allegedly Rapes 2 Children… teacher on The Run
World News1 year ago
I laughed when I read the story that I gave Israel ultimatum to return Nnamdi Kanu – Lai Mohammed
Featured8 months ago
Lagos Property Magnate, TV Mogul In Messy Sex Scandal In Dubai
News4 months ago
Lagos Top female APC Member In Multi-Billion Naira Debt Mess + How She Is Living Fake Life
News11 months ago
NDLEA Closes In On Sanwoolu’s Aide, Funke Phillips
News3 years ago
Audu Maikori retracts statement that 5 students of Kaduna state College of Education were killed in Southern Kaduna crisis