West African Examinations Council (WAEC) on Thursday officially confirmed that Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq sat its secondary school leaving examination in 1976 at the Government College Kaduna.
The council also confirmed that he had sat the exams using Razaq A.R. as contained in the credentials the Governor repeatedly submitted to the INEC when contesting for elections.
The confirmation was contained in the certified true copy of the results of the Governor and other candidates of the same set that the examination body forwarded to the Kwara State Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Ilorin.
The tribunal is chaired by Justice Bassey Efiong.
The PDP is challenging the election of AbdulRazaq on the allegation that he did not have WAEC results as required under the law.
The WAEC document, which is the statement of result and numbered exhibit P3B, was presented by Olorunsola Victor O., a senior examination officer with the Ilorin office of the regional body.
The witness, during cross examination, also confirmed to the tribunal that at least 31 other candidates had their names abbreviated, putting to rest claims by the PDP that the WAEC did not allow abbreviations during that time.
Asked if it would be a horrible lie for anyone to claim that AbdulRazaq did not write the exam, the witness said “yes”.
The CTC of the result was signed by Oshindehinde HSA, WAEC deputy registrar, School Examinations Department on behalf of Head of national Office of the body, Olu I. Adenipekun.
The result was presented following a subpeona of the tribunal at the behest of the PDP.
The cross examination was preceded by a mild drama at the tribunal when Paul Erokoro (SAN), counsel to the PDP Governorship Candidate Razak Atunwa, disowned the representative of the WAEC just minutes after he vehemently fought to have him testify at the tribunal.
Erokoro turned 360 degrees after the witness presented the two subpeonas the tribunal had earlier addressed to WAEC along with a CTC of the Secondary School Certificate Examination result of the Governor.
Rather than proceed to have the witness testify to the tribunal, Erokoro said he no longer agreed that the witness had truly come to represent the examination body because the subpeonas did not contain any minute suggesting he had been asked to represent the WAEC.
“We don’t accept this witness as coming from WAEC because there’s no minute on the subpeona that he’s from WAEC. We can’t take his ID as evidence that he’s from WAEC. WAEC should send a witness with instructions to testify on its behalf. We shall therefore be applying for a bench warrant for the head of WAEC to appear before this tribunal,” Erokoro said.
Counsel to the Independent National Electoral Commission Rowland Otaru (SAN); Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, Kunle Kalejaiye SAN; and APC, Akin Olujimi SAN, all objected to the application.
They insisted that the witness had been sworn on oath and had given his evidence and so must be cross-examined accordingly.
The tribunal, in its ruling, rejected the PDP’s application on the grounds that there was no sufficient evidence to say that the witness did not come from WAEC.
“We recall that the (witness) was presented by petitioners as WAEC representative. He’s been sworn on oath that he’s WAEC representative. He has presented his ID. He said he’s here to present the document based on the subpeona. All of these constituted evidence and there was no accusation of any sort against (this witness),” according to Justice Effiong.
“The only disagreement of the petitioners is that there is no minutes on the subpeona introducing him. We hold that this is not sufficient to order warrant against WAEC, especially that sufficient time had been given for this document to come.
“This witness has given evidence on oath and he must be cross-examined. All of his testimonies on oath are on our record.
“If the petitioners’ only argument is about minutes and not necessarily the genuineness of the subpeona or document attached thereto then we refuse this application of the petitioners for bench warrant (on WAEC)
“We hold that the witness’s evidence be continued or if it is concluded, then he must be cross-examined.”
The case has been adjourned to July 23 for the respondents to open their defense.
Police Service Commission Confirms Appointment Of Six DIGs, Promotes 14 Commissioners To AIG
The Nigeria Police Service Commission has confirmed the appointment and promotion of officers within the police force.
This is coming weeks after the row between the police force and police service commission.
The appointment and promotion was vetoed at the sixth Plenary Meeting held in Abuja.
The commission approved the appointment of six Deputy Inspectors General of Police, with two to proceed on pre-retirement leave.
The commission also approved the promotion of 230 Superintendents of Police to Chief Superintendents, 11 Deputy Superintendents of Police to Superintendents and 211 Assistant Superintendents to Deputy Superintendents.
Court Orders Temporary Forfeiture Of Saraki’s Properties To Nigerian Government
The Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, has ordered the temporary forfeiture of properties belonging to Bukola Saraki, former Senate President of Nigeria.
The two properties located at the Ikoyi area of the state were forfeited to the Nigerian Government following an ex-parte order by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
Counsel to the EFCC, Nnaemeka Omewa, had sought an order for the interim forfeiture of the properties located on 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos.
He had told the court that they were acquired through “proceeds of unlawful activities”.
Part of the reliefs sought by the EFCC included: “An order of the court forfeiting to the Federal Government of Nigeria landed property with appurtenances situate, lying and known as No. 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State found and recovered from the respondent which property is reasonably suspected to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activity.”
Bandits Displace 2,000 Villagers In 17 Kaduna Villages
Bandits have displaced 17 villages in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State, according to the News Agency of Nigeria.
The incident, which was said to have happened on Sunday, led to the displacement of about 2,000, persons, who have since taken refuge at LEA Birnin Yero Primary School.
One of the victims and village head of Unguwan Gibe, Jibrin Abdullahi, said, “Bandits came to our village to attack us at about 1:00pm on Sunday.
“The problem started when vigilante decided to help the community to deal with the bandits in their hideout.
“The bandits don’t allow us to go to farm, the vigilantes wanted to bring an end to this.
“But when they reached the bandits’ hideout, they were overpowered and the bandits said since the community had decided to attack them, we will not have peace.”
He identified the villages that were displaced to include Tura, Unguwan Gebi, Unguwan Dangauta, Unguwan Nayawu, Unguwan Makeri, Jagani and Sabon Gida.
Others are, Dallatu, Unguwan Alhaji Ahmadu, Sabon Gari, Kusau, Gidan Sarkin Noma, Unguwan Pati, Unguwan Tofa and Sauran Giwa.
Chief Imam of Izala Mosque, Ibrahim Usman, said the bandits had been terrorising the community even before Sunday’s attack and called on government to intervene to enable them return home.
Society News11 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: The Complete Story of Dolapo Awosika, John Fashanu and Prophet Kasali Sex Mess
World News12 months ago
I laughed when I read the story that I gave Israel ultimatum to return Nnamdi Kanu – Lai Mohammed
Crime7 months ago
Unbelievable! Isolog Pry. School AKUTE Teacher Allegedly Rapes 2 Children… teacher on The Run
Featured4 months ago
Lagos Property Magnate, TV Mogul In Messy Sex Scandal In Dubai
News7 months ago
NDLEA Closes In On Sanwoolu’s Aide, Funke Phillips
News6 months ago
Umar Mohammed Bago, Man With Passion For Service
News3 years ago
Audu Maikori retracts statement that 5 students of Kaduna state College of Education were killed in Southern Kaduna crisis
Business News10 months ago
The Story Of How Herbert Wigwe and Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede Took Over Access Bank