Connect with us

News

I spent only N1.2bn on funerals not N2.3bn – Bauchi ex-gov, Mohammed Abubakar tells successor Bala Mohammed

Published

on

Former governor of Bauchi State, Mohammed Abubakar, has denied claims he spent N2.3 billion to organise funerals for some of the indigenes of the state. The former governor said he only spent N1.2 billion on funeral materials and not N2.3 billion as alleged. Abubakar said this in a statement released by his media aide, Mukhtar Jibril.

The former governor was reacting to claims made by his successor, Bala Mohammed, that he spent N2.3 billion on funeral materials in five months.

Abubakar in a statement said the purchase for the Funeral materials passed through “due process” and awarded to qualified contractors.

“In response to media reports on the issue of mahogany and shrouds procured for burials, we want to state that this is a practice inherited by the government of Abubakar from its predecessors. Considering its significance and impact on the people, especially the bereaved, it decided to continue with it.

“However, the project, like any other of the same magnitude, was awarded to qualified contractors. Based on the available verifiable record, N1,270,743,520 had been expended since its inception and not the exaggerated figure of N2.3 billion mischievously posted on the social media by critics. We urge the good people of the state to disregard this insinuation as an act of desperation by elements of retrogression.

Besides, every contract awarded was subjected to the scrutiny and appraisal of the due process agency in accordance with public procurement law, contract agreement, payment of tax due on such contracts and other requirements”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

Police Service Commission Confirms Appointment Of Six DIGs, Promotes 14 Commissioners To AIG

Published

on

The Nigeria Police Service Commission has confirmed the appointment and promotion of officers within the police force.

This is coming weeks after the row between the police force and police service commission.

The appointment and promotion was vetoed at the sixth Plenary Meeting held in Abuja.

The commission approved the appointment of six Deputy Inspectors General of Police, with two to proceed on pre-retirement leave.

The commission also approved the promotion of 230 Superintendents of Police to Chief Superintendents, 11 Deputy Superintendents of Police to Superintendents and 211 Assistant Superintendents to Deputy Superintendents.

Continue Reading

News

Court Orders Temporary Forfeiture Of Saraki’s Properties To Nigerian Government

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, has ordered the temporary forfeiture of properties belonging to Bukola Saraki, former Senate President of Nigeria.

The two properties located at the Ikoyi area of the state were forfeited to the Nigerian Government following an ex-parte order by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

Counsel to the EFCC, Nnaemeka Omewa, had sought an order for the interim forfeiture of the properties located on 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos.

He had told the court that they were acquired through “proceeds of unlawful activities”.

Part of the reliefs sought by the EFCC included: “An order of the court forfeiting to the Federal Government of Nigeria landed property with appurtenances situate, lying and known as No. 17A McDonald Road, Ikoyi, Eti-Osa Local Government Area of Lagos State found and recovered from the respondent which property is reasonably suspected to have been acquired with proceeds of unlawful activity.”

Continue Reading

News

Bandits Displace 2,000 Villagers In 17 Kaduna Villages

Published

on

Bandits have displaced 17 villages in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State, according to the News Agency of Nigeria.

The incident, which was said to have happened on Sunday, led to the displacement of about 2,000, persons, who have since taken refuge at LEA Birnin Yero Primary School.

One of the victims and village head of Unguwan Gibe, Jibrin Abdullahi, said, “Bandits came to our village to attack us at about 1:00pm on Sunday.

“The problem started when vigilante decided to help the community to deal with the bandits in their hideout.

“The bandits don’t allow us to go to farm, the vigilantes wanted to bring an end to this.

“But when they reached the bandits’ hideout, they were overpowered and the bandits said since the community had decided to attack them, we will not have peace.”

He identified the villages that were displaced to include Tura, Unguwan Gebi, Unguwan Dangauta, Unguwan Nayawu, Unguwan Makeri, Jagani and Sabon Gida.

Others are, Dallatu, Unguwan Alhaji Ahmadu, Sabon Gari, Kusau, Gidan Sarkin Noma, Unguwan Pati, Unguwan Tofa and Sauran Giwa.

Chief Imam of Izala Mosque, Ibrahim Usman, said the bandits had been terrorising the community even before Sunday’s attack and called on government to intervene to enable them return home.

Continue Reading

Trending