Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, on Wednesday dismissed social media report that he gave Israel ultimatum over the reappearance of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, in that country.
The IPOB leader, who was sighted in Israel last week, had pledged to return to Nigeria soon, after his unceremonious disappearance from the country for about 13 months.
The minister, who fielded questions from State House correspondents, said: “I was in London when I heard the story about Nnamdi Kanu surfacing in Israel. I was not in a position to make any statement.
“But before I knew it, within a few hours, I saw my picture with a story saying that I had actually given Israel ultimatum to return Nnamdi Kanu otherwise, we will send them missiles.
“I just laughed. It speaks to what we are talking about fake news because it is probably the biggest threat in the run-up to the elections.
“Having said that I have nothing more to add, to the issue of Nnamdi Kanu.’’
According to him, the appropriate authorities in the country will speak on the issue at the appropriate time.
“At the appropriate time, the various authorities will make a statement about the issue of Kanu,’’ he said.
It would be recalled that the Presidency had on Tuesday, October 23 dismissed the Kanu’s outburst and assured all Nigerians that there was no reason to worry about the hollow outburst by the IPOB leader.
Malam Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, who gave the assurance in a statement in Abuja, restated that Nigeria under President Muhammadu Buhari was strong enough to defend its territory against any threat.
He said: “Instead, we see the re-enactment of his bizarre, episodic threat as a mere distraction which will not be allowed to detract from the existing cordial relationships between Nigeria and other countries.’’
According to him, the Buhari administration is in constant touch with other friendly nations and has the best assurances that they would continue to reciprocate the respect Nigeria has for the sovereignty of their nations.
I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to same powerful forces – Prince Harry shares his fear about Meghan Markle
Prince Harry has shared his fears for his wife, Meghan Markle who has been subjected to “bullying” by the British Media in the last few months.
In a lengthy emotional statement shared on Tuesday October 1, the Duke of Sussex revealed that they have instituted legal action against the Mail on Sunday newspaper over the publication of a private letter which their lawyers said was “unlawful.”
“There comes a point when the only thing to do is to stand up to this behaviour, because it destroys people and destroys lives. Put simply, it is bullying, which scares and silences people. We all know this isn’t acceptable, at any level. We won’t and can’t believe in a world where there is no accountability for this” Prince Harry said.
“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one.
“My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”
35-year-old Prince Harry’s mother, Princess Diana was one of the most photographed women on the planet after she got married into the British royal family. She died in 1997 when her car crashed in a Paris tunnel while being chased by photographers.
Prince Harry added: “Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son. There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.”
Prince Harry said the newspaper had “purposely misled (readers) by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words.”
However Mail on Sunday denied the claim, insisting they will be defending their case vigorously.
“The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously,” said a spokesman.
“Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.”
North Korea agrees to meet with US officials to resume nuclear talks after 8 months stand off
North Korean officials have agreed to meet with United states government officials this weekend to resume nuclear talks after almost 8 months of stand off, according to a report by North Korea’s state news agency KCNA published Tuesday.
This comes weeks after former US National Security adviser, John Bolton, a well known anti-North Korea hawk, was sacked by Donald Trump on Twitter for his differences with the US president on North Korea, Afghanistan and Iran.
Months earlier, North Korean negotiators said they will be unwilling to negotiate with the US if they maintain their hawkish demands of unilateral disarmament and if John Bolton remains on the negotiating team, after the US and North Korea failed to reach any nuclear agreement and Trumped walked out during the last summit between the US and North Korea in Hanoi, Vietnam.
Kim wanted sanctions relief in exchange for partial disarmament but after Trump rejected such demands, North Korea has run several short-range missile tests angering US allies Japan and South Korea.
Citing a statement issued by North Korea’s Vice Foreign Minister Choe
Son Hui, KCNA reported the two countries will make preliminary contact
on Friday before sitting down for working-level talks Saturday.
“The delegates of the DPRK side are ready to enter into the DPRK-U.S. working-level negotiations,” Choe said in the statement, according to Reuters. The foreign minister used North Korea’s official name, which is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
“It is my expectation that the working-level negotiations would accelerate the positive development of the DPRK-U.S. relations,” Choe said.
Robert Mugabe buried in a steel coffin encased in concrete as family claims people are ‘after his body’
The bizarre burial of Robert Mugabe saw the former Zimbabwean leader interred in a steel-lined coffin under a layer of concrete on Saturday, following a bitter dispute over his resting place between government officials, traditional leaders and family members.
Twenty-two days after he died, the body of the strongman was finally buried next to his home with second wife Grace Mugabe in Kutama, Zvimba, the village of his birth, 55 miles north west of Harare.
His eldest nephew, Leo Mugabe, who played a central role in the prolonged burial drama, said the coffin which brought his embalmed body to Harare from Singapore had to be changed for security reasons.
“People really are after his body or his body parts, so we wanted something that is tamper-proof. That is why the casket was changed,” he told a local radio station.
After the coffin was lowered into the ground in a private ceremony close to the home which Grace Mugabe had built after their marriage, concrete was laid down around it.
Mugabe’s family claimed that this was the burial place he had ultimately wanted and had spoken of in the last six months of his life in Singapore, angry that he had been ousted from power two years ago by his long-time ally, President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Mrs Mugabe, 54, draped in heavy black lace for more than three weeks, had made it clear to all who would listen that Mr Mnangagwa and his loyalists were not welcome at the burial. Had he been buried at Heroes Acre, the burial ground commissioned by her late husband and the resting place preferred by the government, she would not have been able to prevent their attendance. Crucially, it would also have meant him being buried next to his first wife, Sally Mugabe, still regarded by many as the “mother” of the Zimbabwean nation.
Amid various conflicting claims over his wishes, Mugabe, who died of cancer aged 95, had reportedly also said that he wanted to be buried next to his mother elsewhere in Zvimba. Leo Mugabe asserted that this was not possible due to a lack of space – although The Telegraph ascertained that there was in fact plenty of available ground within a few yards of his mother’s ornate grave.
Last week, Mrs Mugabe had come up with another proposal, saying she wanted her late husband buried in the grounds of their Harare mansion, informally known by locals as the Blue Roof.
But the Harare City Council said that was not possible as the land was not a cemetery. Mrs Mugabe then also discovered that the title deeds of the multi-million pound home, with massive landscaped grounds, lake and wildlife, was in the name of a company owned by the ruling Zanu PF party.
In a late twist in the saga, the Mugabe family had finally agreed, after negotiations with traditional leaders and the government, that the former president could after all be buried at Heroes Acre. But this was on the condition that a mausoleum would be built for him on the crest of the hill overlooking hundreds of graves of his former colleagues, mainly from the war against Rhodesian minority white rule.
Mugabe’s sons, Robert Jnr and Chatunga, agreed the site of the mausoleum, and building began – only for the plan to be changed again. The costs of the abandoned preparations are not known.
The official funeral service for Mugabe, attended by 11 African heads of state, was held two weeks ago in a half empty stadium in Harare.
Society News11 months ago
EXCLUSIVE: The Complete Story of Dolapo Awosika, John Fashanu and Prophet Kasali Sex Mess
Crime7 months ago
Unbelievable! Isolog Pry. School AKUTE Teacher Allegedly Rapes 2 Children… teacher on The Run
Featured4 months ago
Lagos Property Magnate, TV Mogul In Messy Sex Scandal In Dubai
News7 months ago
NDLEA Closes In On Sanwoolu’s Aide, Funke Phillips
News6 months ago
Umar Mohammed Bago, Man With Passion For Service
News3 years ago
Audu Maikori retracts statement that 5 students of Kaduna state College of Education were killed in Southern Kaduna crisis
Business News10 months ago
The Story Of How Herbert Wigwe and Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede Took Over Access Bank
Cover Stories3 months ago
Sanwo-Olu’s Chief of Staff, Tayo Ayinde Sends Wife, Titilola Packing…Marries Otunba Ojora’s Niece, Adedoyin