Connect with us

Society News

FSARS officers caught on video beating young Lagosian for refusing to unlock phone

Published

on

The Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS) of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) is in the news for the wrong reasons yet again after officers were filmed assaulting a young man in Lagos.

In a video posted on instablog9ja, a news platform, on Friday, April 12, 2019, the officers were filmed harassing the young man for a crime that wasn’t immediately clear.

The young man could be heard yelling, “I know my rights! You want money,” at the beginning of the one-minute video, just seconds before an officer retrieved a heavy plank of wood from what appeared to be the unit’s white van and then hit the man with it.

When the young man pointed at the officer and said, “You will see!”, a second officer followed up with two slaps to the protesting young man’s face. 

The first officer then hit him with the plank two more times before retreating to the van while the young man tried to make a call on the phone.

The second officer then egged the young man on to, “Call who you wan (want to) call” before slapping him two more times.

“You dey craze? Call the person,” the second officer said in anger as he continued to shove the young man.

The angry first officer then returned from the van to hit him three more times with the plank while a couple of people pleaded on his behalf.

While it’s not immediately clear what his crime was, Gossip Mill reported that two phones were seized from the man and he refused to unlock the expensive one.

It’s not clear where the incident happened, but the second officer could be heard in the video telling the young man to report at Force Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (FCIID), Alagbon which is located in Lagos, presumably to retrieve his phone.

The incident comes just days after the Delta State Police Command arrested an officer who was caught on camera harassing a student for owning an expensive iPhone.

A Twitter user with username Covenant Buhari (@CovenantBuhari) had posted the 44 seconds video on Tuesday, April 9, showing the officer picking on the young man for being in possession of an iPhone X worth N250,000.

In the video, the officer protested that he can’t afford to spend N250,000 on a car despite nearly 14 years in service.

Officers of the Force, especially of the FSARS unit, have been notorious for widespread abuse of power with public scrutiny growing over the past couple of years on their conducts with the public.

Earlier this month, an officer of the Special Anti-Cultism Squad (SACS) of the Lagos State Police Command, Inspector Ogunyemi Olalekan, shot and killed Kolade Johnson while his team was carrying out an indiscriminate arrest of a young man believed to have been targeted due to his dreadlocks. He was sacked from the Force and has been arraigned in court for murder.

Johnson’s killing led to widespread calls for the implementation of meaningful police reform to curb harassment and brutality unleashed on helpless citizens. Protests that largely targeted FSARS were also held across many states on Friday, April 5.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Crime

Alleged Gang-rape: Court Denies Babcock Varsity student Bail

Published

on

Justice Abiola Soladoye of an Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court has denied bail to a student of Babcock University, James Aguedo, accused of involvement in gang-rape of a student of the University of Lagos, Unilag.

The News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, reports that Soladoye in a ruling on Thursday said Aguedo, 20, did not provide compelling circumstances as to why the court should grant him bail.

“The essence of bail is to ensure the defendant’s attendance at trial. In deciding an application for bail, certain factors must be taken into consideration such as the nature of the charge and the evidence adduced.

“Grant of bail of a defendant in a criminal offence is not automatic, it is at the discretion of the court.

“I am, therefore, of the view that the application before the court has not shown any compelling or exceptional circumstances to warrant the court exercising its discretion in favour of the applicant.

“The application for bail is hereby refused, and the court shall give this case accelerated trial; I so hold,” the judge said.

NAN reports that Aguedo’s counsel, Mr Lawal Pedro, SAN, had on March 25 prayed the court to grant him bail to enable him to write examination at the Babcock University in April.

He also submitted that the undergraduate suffered from ill-health and needed constant medical attention.

“He has a recurring back ailment. We brought not just a medical report but the history, because he has been attending an orthopaedic hospital.

“The prison facility is not conducive for him,” the SAN said.

Pedro had attached Aguedo’s school identity card and admission letter to the bail application dated March 13.

Also attached were a National Orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi, Yaba, Lagos, appointment card, history of medical examination and a St Dominic’s Catholic Church’s letter of recommendation.

NAN reports that the student is standing trial alongside Moboluwaji Omowole, 19, Chuka Chukwu, 19, Peace Nwankama, 19 and Osemeka Josephine, 20.

The defendants were charged with serial gang-rape of a Unilag student (name withheld).

According to prosecution counsel, Mrs Fehinti Ogbemudia, the defendants committed the gang rape sometime in 2017 within the premises of Unilag.

The alleged victim had on Feb. 26 testified that she was lured by Nwankama who was her roommate to High Rise, a staff quarters hostel, in Unilag.

She said she was gang-raped at High Rise by eight students, and that the sexual assault was video- taped.

According to the alleged victim, she was also blackmailed with the video and further gang-raped on other occasions by the defendants and their accomplices who are now at large.

The five defendants have been remanded in the Kirikiri Prisons since Feb. 26, when they were arraigned.

The case has been adjourned until May 2 for continuation of trial.

Continue Reading

Crime

Mother weeps profusely in court as suspected killers of her first class daughter plead not guilty

Published

on

It was a somber mood in the Asaba High Court in Delta state yesterday April 17th as the Mother of the slain Miss Elozino Ogege, the first class 300 level student of Mass Communication, Delta State University (DELSU) who was gruesomely murdered sometime in November 2018 by suspected ritualists, wept profusely as the suspected murderers pleaded not guilty to the eight-count charge preferred against them by the state Attorney-General.

The body of Elozino Ogege, who was declared missing on November 15th 2018, was reportedly found with her tongue and breasts chopped off. She had reportedly gone on a search for a new accomodation when she met her killers who stole her Tecno phone and then killed her. The suspects who earlier confessed to the crime, said they wanted to use her for Yahoo Yahoo money ritual. Read initial story here and here.

At the trial of the suspected killers yesterday, Mrs. Elizabeth Ogege, who was in court to observe proceedings, bursted into uncontrollable tears demanding for justice immediately the suspects pleaded not guilty in court. She refused to be consoled by the Director of Sexual Offences/Domestic Violence, Uche Akamagwuna, and other sympathizers as she wept profusely, saying “God will avenge the blood of my innocent daughter whose life was cut down in her prime.”

The accused persons identified as Macaulay Desmond Oghenemaro, Ojokojo Robinson Obajero, Nwosisi Benedict Uche and Enaike Onoriode, took their plea after the charges were read to them by the Court Registrar, and pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

The charge sheet in part read

“That you, Macaulay Desmond Oghenemaro (m), Ojokojo Robinson Obajero (m), Nwosisi Benedict Uche (m) Enaike Onoriode (m) and one Emese Emudiaga Kelvin now deceased, on or about the 15th day of November, 2018 at Abraka, within the Sapele Criminal Division murdered one Elozino Joshualia Ogege, punishable under Section 319 (1) of the Criminal Code Law Cap C21, Volume 1, Laws of Delta State 2006.”

Other charges contained in the information filed against the defendants include conspiracy to commit a felony to wit: kidnapping punishable under Section 516 of the Criminal Code Law, Cap C21, Volume 1, Laws of Delta State of Nigeria 2006.

The accused persons, according to the charge, robbed one Elozino Joshualia Ogege (f) of her Tecno K7 Mobile phone while armed with a knife and other weapons.

The matter was adjourned to April 30 and May 15 respectively for hearing.

Meanwhile, a few days ago, Mrs. Ogege had cried out to Governor Ifeanyi Okowa a few days ago to keep to his earlier promise of speedy justice for her daughter.

In a letter entitled ‘An Open Letter To The Governor Of Delta State From The Mother Of Late Miss. Elozino Ogege’, addressed to Okowa and obtained by SaharaReporters, she lamented the “slow and unfair proceedings so far from the court handling the matter” and appealed to the Governor to find time and pay a condolence visit to the family of the deceased.

Continue Reading

Society News

Nigerian Multimillionaire Oilman Igho Sanomi Raises $1.5 Million For Cancer Research UK

Published

on

Nigerian multi-millionaire oilman Igho Sanomi has received a commendation from Cancer Research UK and the Bobby Moore Fund for his philanthropy towards bowel cancer research in the United Kingdom.

At a recent Dining with the Stars Charity Event which held at One Whitehall Place in London, and which was graced by top British corporate executives, distinguished British MP’s and Sports personalities, Stephanie Moore MBE, co-founder of the Bobby Moore Fund, expressed her appreciation to the Nigerian business mogul for his company’s generous donations to the fund over the years. Since partnering as a sponsor of the Bobby Moore fund and Cancer Research UK six years ago, Taleveras DMCC, Sanomi’s Dubai-based oil trading company, has helped the organization raise more than $1.5 million.

The Bobby Moore Fund was set up in memory of World Cup winning England soccer captain Bobby Moore, who died from bowel cancer in 1993 at the age of 51. The Bobby Moore Fund, was set up in memory of World Cup winning England soccer captain Bobby Moore, who died from bowel cancer in 1993 at the age of 51. The Bobby Moore Fund, which is a charity in the United Kingdom, was founded by Moore’s wife, Stephanie Moore, in partnership with Cancer Research UK (CRUK) in order to raise money for research into bowel cancer and create public awareness of the disease. Since its inception, the fund has raised more than $30 million to tackle bowel cancer.

Bowel cancer is the fourth most common cancer in the UK. It is also the second most common cause of cancer death with more than 44 people dying from the disease every day in the UK according to the Bobby Moore Fund.

Igho Sanomi, one of Nigeria’s most successful young entrepreneurs and emerging philanthropists, is the founder of the Dickens Sanomi Foundation, a Nigerian-based charitable trust that supports the education of Nigerian children from impoverished and vulnerable backgrounds. In 2017, the Dickens Sanomi Foundation spent more than $50,000 in funding the surgery of Ali Ahmadu, a seven year old boy who became paralysed after he was run over by the militant Nigerian Boko Haram forces when they attacked Chibok Town in Nigeria’s Borno State. After the surgery, the paralyzed Ali Ahmadu regained the use of his legs and is now attending school in Nigeria courtesy of the Dickens Sanomi Foundation.

Igho Sanomi, 43, is the founder of Chairman of Taleveras Group, a $1.2 billion (annual revenues) commodities trading company, which trades millions of tons of oil and refined petroleum products annually. Taleveras is also active in the Power sector and has investments in oil producing assets in Nigeria, Cote D’Ivoire and Equatorial Guinea.

Source: FORBES ONLINE

Continue Reading

Trending