Connect with us

Sports

Formula One legend Juan Manuel Fangio’s body exhumed in paternity row

Published

on

A judge in Argentina, where Fangio was born and died, ordered the exhumation so DNA samples can be used to try and resolve two paternity cases brought about by men in their seventies.

Fangio, who won the F1 World Championship five times in the 1950s, never married and did not admit to having any children.

Fangio1-596977

However, his biographers have claimed he had a relationship with a woman called Andrea Berruet for two decades.

Ms Berruet’s son, Oscar Espinosa, a former Formula 3 driver known by colleagues as “Cancho” Fangio, is one of the men who has filed a paternity lawsuit.

The other man claiming to be Fangio’s son is Ruben Vazquez.

Mr Vazquez has claimed he is not interested in inheriting any of his alleged father’s fortune, adding: “I just want to be recognised for the Fangio surname.”

Juan Manuel Fangio left a large part of his estate to the Juan Manuel Fangio Museum in Buenos Aires, which houses a collection of cars, trophies, photographs and other memorabilia.

Many people consider Fangio to be the greatest racing driver of all time and his record of five World Championships stood for 45 years until German Michael Schumacher won his sixth title in 2003.

Schumacher, now 46, had huge respect for Fangio and paid tribute to him after he died.

In an interview just before what would have been the late legend’s 100th birthday, Schumacher, who met his hero in 1992, said: “The drivers in Fangio’s time were all very courageous; it makes you realise how fortunate we are today with the build of our cars and the high safety standards.”

Schumacher, who marked his 20th wedding anniversary with wife Corinna this week, is still on the long road to recovery after a skiing accident in the French Alps put him in a coma for six months in December 2013.

Schumacher spent months in a hospital in France before being moved to recover in his family home, which he has been recuperating in for nearly a year.

Juan Manuel Fangio, pictured in the Monaco Grand Prix in 1957, was a legendary racing driver

Juan Manuel Fangio, pictured in the Monaco Grand Prix in 1957, was a legendary racing driver

Mrs Schumacher, their children Gina Marie, 16, and Mick, 14, have kept details of the former Ferrari driver’s recovery private but Mick did reveal last year that his father was getting better “very slowly”.

Fangio was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina on June 24 1911 and died in the same city on July 17 1995, aged 84.

He won the Formula One World Drivers’ Championship with four different teams – Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Mercedes and Ferrari – a feat no other driver has achieved.

His nephew Juan Manuel Fangio II, now aged 58, was also a successful racing driver.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

Jose Mourinho appointed Tottenham head coach

Published

on

Jose Mourinho has been named Tottenham head coach until the end of the 2023 season.

The former Manchester United and Chelsea boss replaces Mauricio Pochettino, who was sacked on Tuesday with the club 14th in the Premier League.

Having decided it was time to act, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy drew up a shortlist which included Mourinho, RB Leipzig’s Julian Nagelsmann, former Juventus boss Max Allegri and PSG’s Thomas Tuchel.

Negotiations between Spurs and Mourinho – who had been out of work since he was sacked by United in December – intensified over the last few days and concluded in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Mourinho was promised funds to improve the squad in January and in the summer transfer window, if he felt necessary.

“I am excited to be joining a club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters,” said Mourinho. “The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me. Working with these players is what has attracted me.”

He will take training at Hotspur Way on Wednesday ahead of his first game on Saturday – against West Ham at the London Stadium.

Levy said he was “reluctant” to sack Pochettino, whose Spurs side lost to Liverpool in last season’s Champions League final, but explained the decision had to be made in the “club’s best interests”.

Mourinho won three Premier League titles with Chelsea, and is one of only three managers to have won the UEFA Champions League twice with two clubs, FC Porto in 2004 and Inter Milan in 2010.

“In Jose, we have one of the most successful managers in football,” Levy said on Wednesday.

“He has a wealth of experience, can inspire teams and is a great tactician. He has won honours at every club he has coached. We believe he will bring energy and belief to the dressing room.”

Mourinho, who lives in London, inherits a Tottenham side that have won just five matches all season.

He turned down job offers in China, Spain and Portugal since leaving United.

Continue Reading

Sports

Pochettino sacked as Tottenham manager

Published

on

Tottenham Hotspur have announced that Mauricio Pochettino has been sacked as their manager.

The Argentine spent five years in charge of the North London side.

Pochettino led Spurs to top-four finishes in four of his five seasons in charge, as well as their first Champions League final in the 2018/19 campaign.

However, they have won just five matches this season and chairman Daniel Levy said a change had to be made in the “club’s best interests”.

An official club statement read: “We were extremely reluctant to make this change and it is not a decision the board has taken lightly, nor in haste.

“Regrettably domestic results at the end of last season and beginning of this season have been extremely disappointing.

“It falls to the board to make the difficult decisions – this one made more so given the many memorable moments we have had with Mauricio and his coaching staff – but we do so in the club’s best interests.

“Mauricio and his coaching staff will always be part of our history. I have the utmost admiration for the manner in which he dealt with the difficult times away from a home ground whilst we built the new stadium and for the warmth and positivity he brought to us.

“I should like to thank him and his coaching staff for all they have contributed. They will always be welcome here.

“We have a talented squad. We need to re-energise and look to deliver a positive season for our supporters.”

Continue Reading

Brands

FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship Achieves Global Recognition, Gets Listed In the WAGR

Published

on

Nigeria’s premier and leading financial services provider, First Bank of Nigeria Limited has announced that the FirstBank Lagos Amateur Golf Championship scheduled to Tee-Off on Friday, 15 November 2019 is now listed amongst the golf tournaments in the World Amateur Golf Ranking (WAGR). The WAGR is offered by the R&A and the United States Golf Association as a global service to golf.  Through incorporation and assessment worldwide of both amateur and professional events, WAGR™ encourages the international development of the competitive game. 

Since 1894, FirstBank has continued to promote the growth and development of sports in Nigeria. Apart from the Lagos Amateur Golf Championship which the Bank has supported for 57 years, the Bank has sponsored the Georgian Cup of the Kaduna Polo Tournament for 100 years. Other sports supported by the Bank include; the Dala Hardcourt Tennis, Kano for 32 years and for over a combined 30 years, the Bank has sponsored and owned the popular Elephant Girls Basketball club – which has remained a dominant force in the Nigerian Women Basketball league for many years – and the Elephant boys football club. The highpoint of these is the 2019 100th unbroken years of sponsoring the Kaduna Polo Tournament, widely attributed as the longest running sports sponsorship in the world and a Guinness Book of Records potential. 

The 56-hole golf tournament, to be played over three days would be rounded off with a grand finale and awards ceremony on Sunday, 17 November 2019. Other activities to be held in the course of the tournament are the “Professional Coaching Clinic” to nurture the skills of young and upcoming talents and “Beat the Pro Skills competition”. The 2018 edition which had over 260 golfers in attendance was won by Sam Njoroge from Kenyan.

Speaking on the Bank’s sponsorship of the tournament, Dr. Adesola Adeduntan, Chief Executive Officer, First Bank of Nigeria Limited said; “We are excited at the giant strides achieved with the FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship. The championship is now one of the international golf events where all amateur golfers worldwide can now participate and amass points to aid their WAGR rankings.”

“FirstBank has been in the business of supporting sports in Nigeria throughout its 125 years of existence. We have partnered with individuals and institutions to provide support, not only in the sports arena, but also in Education, the Arts and Small and Medium Enterprises”, he concluded.

Continue Reading

Trending