Connect with us

Sports

Colombia footballer, William Tesillo receives death threats for missing decisive penalty in Copa America shootout against Chile

Published

on

Colombia footballer, William Tesillo, who plays as a  central defender for Club León in Liga MX has confirmed that he and his family have been receiving death threats because of his penalty miss which led to the South American country’s Copa America exit.


On Friday, the 29-year-old defender missed the decisive penalty kick against Chile at the Arena Corinthians, which could have sent Colombia to the next stage. 

Colombia footballer, William Tesillo receives death threats for missing decisive penalty in Copa America shootout against Chile

This week, he confirmed that he and his family have received death threats after his wife Daniela Mejia took to her Instagram account to detail the threats received.

He told both Colombian radio and newspapers : ‘Yes, yes. It’s correct’ Tesillo insisted to El Pais de Cali. ‘They wrote to my wife and she published [them]. They wrote to me too, but I didn’t publish anything.’

‘In the face of the threats that are being imposed on us, we only pray. You have to think that this is just football and that you can lose or win,’ lamented his father, in an interview for Radio Caracol.


‘Yet this will do little to calm those behind the intimidations, one of which callously alluded to an infamous 1994 murder and read: ‘I hope that what happens to him is the same [that happened] with Andres Escobar’.


Twenty-five years ago, former Colombia defender Andrss Escobar was murdered days after he scored an own-goal against the US in the 1994 World Cup.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

AFCON 2019: Cameroon sack Seedorf over poor performance

Published

on

The fallout from the Africa Cup of Nations has continued apace this week, with Cameroon coach Clarence Seedorf shown the door on live TV, and two others also getting the sack.

Paul Put was fired by Guinea on Monday despite his side reaching the last 16, while Ricardo Mannetti has not had his contract renewed after Namibia lost all three group games.

This, added to the coaches of hosts Egypt, Tanzania, and Uganda also losing their posts in the wake of disappointing returns, has ensured a job free-for-all on the continent.

Seedorf’s sacking was announced by Cameroon’s minister of sport, Narcisse Mouelle Kombi, on Tuesday, after the defending champions exited the tournament to Nigeria in the round of 16.

Kombi did not mince words on CRTV, saying, “Him staying seems problematic to me. I asked the president of the FA to notify him in accordance with the provisions of his contract.

“Our national team played in an inefficient, monotonous and predictable way. There was no real leader in the squad.

Continue Reading

Sports

Dangote, Otedola promises Super Eagles $75k (N27m) for each goal in remaining AFCON matches

Published

on

The Super Eagles of Nigeria have gotten a major boost in their 2019 African Cup of Nations campaign, as Nigerian billionaires, Aliko Dangote and Femi Otedola have pledged $75,000 for every goal scored in their remaining games. 

The Super Eagles team had earlier gotten $75,000 from Aiteo Group, for the three goals scored in their 3-2 victory over Cameroon in the Round of 16. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu gave each player $5,000, while Hosea Wells Okunbo, a businessman, promised $20,000 per player. 

As they take on Algeria on Sunday in the Semi-Final Match of the 2019 AFCON, Dangote has promised $50,000 per goal, while Otedola pledged the sum of $25,000 for each goal scored. 

Continue Reading

Sports

‘I’m calling the shots’ – Andy Ruiz says he will refuse a rematch with Anthony Joshua in the UK

Published

on

The rematch between Andy Ruiz Jr and Anthony Joshua may not be happening in the UK, as the Mexican-American heavyweight is pushing for the fight to take place in either of his two home countries. 

Andy Ruiz had claimed the WBA, IBF and WBO titles, after he defeated Anthony Joshua in a fight which took place in Madison Square, New York, United States. Speaking to TMZ Sports on plans about the rematch, he said; 

“I haven’t talked to him, but I’m pretty sure he’s training hard for the rematch and so am I. I want the rematch to be in Mexico or New York City again, Vegas, or here [in LA].”

When asked if the Nigerian-born British boxer will agree to this, he said; 

 “It doesn’t matter because I’m the champion… I’m calling the shots… We’re the A-side.”

This contradicts fight promoter, Eddie Hearn’s claim that Anthony Joshua will have the final say over where the rematch takes place.

The Nigerian-born British boxer is in Nigeria at the moment.

Continue Reading

Trending