Connect with us

World News

Breaking: Former Egyptian President Morsi dies in court during sitting

Published

on

Egypt’s ousted president Mohammed Morsi collapsed and died in court on Monday during a court session, state TV said.

Morsi was the fifth president of Egypt from June 2012 until July 2013, when General Abdel Fattah el-Sisi removed him from office in the 2013 Egyptian coup d’état after the June 2013 Egyptian protests.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Crime

US Court finds President’s brother guilty of drug charges

Published

on

A New York (in the United States) court found the brother of the President of Honduras guilty of drug trafficking Friday, in a blow to the leader of the Central American country.

Juan Antonio Hernandez, known as Tony Hernandez, was convicted by a jury on all four counts, a spokesperson in the Manhattan prosecutor’s office told AFP.

Hernandez, a former Honduran congressman, was arrested at a Miami airport in November 2018 on charges of conspiring to import cocaine into the United States, weapons offenses and making false statements.

He is the brother of President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who tweeted Friday that his brother had been convicted with “testimony from confessed murderers.”

Sentencing is due on January 17. Hernandez, 41, faces from five years to life in prison.

The US government argued that Hernandez was a large-scale drug trafficker who worked from 2004 to 2016 with others in Colombia, Honduras and Mexico to import cocaine into the US by plane, boat and submarine.

The prosecution also said Hernandez, who served as a member of the Honduran Congress from 2014 to 2018, was involved in at least two murders of rival drug traffickers in 2011 and 2013.

Some of the cocaine he was transporting was labeled with his initials “TH,” prosecutors argued.

The trial also featured compromising allegations against the president himself.

The prosecution claimed that several candidates from Honduras’ ruling National Party accepted campaign funding from Tony Hernandez, including former president Porfirio Lobo and the current president, who was elected first in 2013 and again in contested elections in 2017.

Continue Reading

World News

I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to same powerful forces – Prince Harry shares his fear about Meghan Markle

Published

on

Prince Harry has shared his fears for his wife, Meghan Markle who has been subjected to “bullying” by the British Media in the last few months. 

In a lengthy emotional statement shared on Tuesday October 1, the Duke of Sussex revealed that they have instituted legal action against the Mail on Sunday newspaper over the publication of a private letter which their lawyers said was “unlawful.”

“There comes a point when the only thing to do is to stand up to this behaviour, because it destroys people and destroys lives. Put simply, it is bullying, which scares and silences people. We all know this isn’t acceptable, at any level. We won’t and can’t believe in a world where there is no accountability for this” Prince Harry said. 

“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one.

“My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”

I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to same powerful forces - Prince Harry shares his fear about Meghan Markle

35-year-old Prince Harry’s mother, Princess Diana was one of the most photographed women on the planet after she got married into the British royal family. She died in 1997 when her car crashed in a Paris tunnel while being chased by photographers. 

Prince Harry added: “Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son. There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.”

Prince Harry said the newspaper had “purposely misled (readers) by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words.”

I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to same powerful forces - Prince Harry shares his fear about Meghan Markle

However Mail on Sunday denied the claim, insisting they will be defending their case vigorously. 

“The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously,” said a spokesman.

“Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.”

Continue Reading

News

North Korea agrees to meet with US officials to resume nuclear talks after 8 months stand off

Published

on

North Korean officials have agreed to meet with United states government officials this weekend to resume nuclear talks after almost 8 months of stand off, according to a report by North Korea’s state news agency KCNA published Tuesday.

This comes weeks after former US National Security adviser, John Bolton, a well known anti-North Korea hawk, was sacked by Donald Trump on Twitter for his differences with the US president on North Korea, Afghanistan and Iran.

Months earlier, North Korean negotiators said they will be unwilling to negotiate with the US if they maintain their hawkish demands of unilateral disarmament and if John Bolton remains on the negotiating team, after the US and North Korea failed to reach any nuclear agreement and Trumped walked out during the last summit between the US and North Korea in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Kim wanted sanctions relief in exchange for partial disarmament but after Trump rejected such demands, North Korea has run several short-range missile tests angering US allies Japan and South Korea.

Citing a statement issued by North Korea’s Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui, KCNA reported the two countries will make preliminary contact on Friday before sitting down for working-level talks Saturday.

“The delegates of the DPRK side are ready to enter into the DPRK-U.S. working-level negotiations,” Choe said in the statement, according to Reuters. The foreign minister used North Korea’s official name, which is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).

“It is my expectation that the working-level negotiations would accelerate the positive development of the DPRK-U.S. relations,” Choe said.

Continue Reading

Trending