Connect with us

News

Akpabio: I know my PDP colleagues are missing me

Published

on

Godswill Akpabio, former minority leader of the senate, says he is sure his colleagues in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are missing him.

Speaking during the valedictory session of the 8th senate, the senator who defected from the PDP to the All Progressives Congress (APC) in August, described his stay at the senate as “happy and sad”.

Akpabio said the experience was mixed because some of his colleagues died before the end of their tenure.

He congratulated the 8th assembly for “remaining focused” despite turbulent times, saying he would join the 9th senate as soon as “I reclaim my mandate”.

“I want to start by apologising to my colleague in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). I know they are missing me but I want to apologise to them for the way and manner I moved to join Mr president to stabilise Nigeria,” Akpabio said.

“I thank the entire 8th senate for giving me the opportunity to be the minority leader, and to make history as the first senator since 1999 to be given the role of a leader in this hallowed chamber.

“My President, you and I know that I have forgiven you if you wronged me, even as we are departing from here, if there is still need, you can see me outside after. In the entirety of the senate, I want to thank all of you for indulging me, for particularly tolerating me. Where I went wrong, please forgive me.

“Let me say this, the 8th senate achieved a lot, despite turbulent periods, we remained focused. We made sure that the interest of Nigeria came first.

“But I must say I enjoyed my stay here. It’s a different thing to be a senator and it’s a different thing to be a governor. It is good to taste the legislature first before you become a governor but should you become a governor first, it is also good to bring the experience into the legislature.

“My President, my constituency is very delighted because through this senate, with the constituency projects, we were able to carry out over 80 projects across my senatorial district and I can tell you I went beyond my senatorial district to also touch others.

He also enjoined the next senate president to create a level playing field for all the senators and urged the 9th senate to reform the electoral act.

“My president, you indulge some of us too much. I want the next senate president to “give a level playing field to all because the senate is a leveler. Once you come here, you are all distinguished colleagues,” Akpabio said.

“I want the next senate president to ensure that there is a level playing field; if you give two minutes to me, give two to Dino (Melaye), let Dino not take 10 minutes and when it is my time, you tell me it is time up as though …I’ll raise my hand for a long time and Dino will walk in and be recognised. This disparity should be checked.

“In the 9th senate, it is time to reform the electoral act, we must make sure that every vote counts in Nigeria. A situation where the electoral umpire becomes so terribly biased that people, even in the face of carry go, the political party won’t matter, they will not take that into cognisance.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

News

DSS is plotting a fresh charge against Sowore – Falana

Published

on

Femi Falana, lead Counsel of embattled #RevolutionNow convener Omoyele Sowore has alleged that the Nigerian government is plotting a fresh charge against his client whose bail conditions was perfected last week. 

Recall that the DSS had previously claimed that they refused to release Omoyele Sowore because no one came for him. However after lawyers, supporters and family members of the activist showed up at DSS headquarters in Abuja on Saturday November 9,  the media personality who is facing charges of treason and insulting President Buhari was still not released. 

Speaking at a Channels TV programme on Monday November 11, Femi Falana said Sowore is yet to be released because the Nigerian government wants to extend his detention.The Senior Advocate of Nigeria also claimed that he was reliably informed that the DSS is looking for new evidence to ensure they further detain the #RevolutionNow convener. 

“I was reliably informed last night by a security official that the government was currently fishing for evidence,” he said.

“An attempt is being made to file a fresh charge on Tuesday so that there will be an excuse that ‘we are arraigning them in court, hence we are unable to release them’.

“If you recall, that was what was done when Justice Taiwo Taiwo granted Sowore bail on September 24. For a whole week, the order of the court was flouted. And then, of course, on September 30, he was arraigned together with Olawale Bakare. We are ready for them.”

Sowore’s lead counsel further stated that they will be filing contempt charges against DSS Director-General Yusuf Bichi, following the secret police’s refusal to release the media personality even after perfecting his bail conditions.

Falana also accused the Nigerian government of obeying only foreign court orders but disobeying orders issued by courts in the country. He backed his claim by pointing out that the FG hurriedly obeyed a British Court order to pay the sum of £250,000 cost to a foreign firm, Process and Industrial Development as condition to appeal a controversial $9.6bn judgment.

“The Federal Government has alleged that the controversial judgment debt of $9.6bn was obtained fraudulently by P & ID. But the commercial court in London recently ordered Nigeria to pay £250,000 within 14 days as a precondition for filing an appeal against the judgment.

“The said sum of £250,000 has since been paid to P & ID in strict compliance with the orders of Her Majesty’s High Court in London.

“But since national security takes precedence over the rule of law at home, the orders of the Federal High Court for the immediate release of Messrs Sowore and Bakare have been brazenly disobeyed by the State Security Service” he said. 

Continue Reading

News

Raheem Sterling dropped by England after trying to grab Joe Gomez by the neck

Published

on

Manchester City striker Raheem Sterling has been dropped from England’s European Championship qualifier against Montenegro after a physical confrontation with Liverpool’s defender Joe Gomez.

According to several reports, Sterling attempted to grab Gomez by the neck following his arrival in the players’ canteen at St George’s Park on Monday, just a day after the pair clashed during Liverpool’s 3-1 win over Manchester City.

Witnesses said they heard him ask the Liverpool defender whether he was “still the big man.”

For Sterling’s part in the bust-up, FA confirmed in a statement that Sterling is not going to play any part against Montenegro on Thursday. Although, the 24-year-old will remain with the squad.

‘The FA can confirm Raheem Sterling will not be considered for Thursday’s EURO 2020 qualifier against Montenegro as a result of a disturbance in a private team area at St. George’s Park today,’ a statement read. ‘He will remain with the squad.’ 

Sterling is understood to have apologised to Gomez and the entire England squad after the altercation. 

He also took address the bust-up with Joe Gomez: ‘We are in a sport where emotions run high and I am man enough to admit when emotions got the better of me,’ he posted. ‘Both Joe and I have had words and figured things out and moved on.’

Raheem Sterling dropped by England after trying to grab Joe Gomez by the neck
Continue Reading

News

All Colour Awards To Hold December 1st In Lagos

Published

on

All Colour Awards (ACA), the anticipated unusual “made in Nigeria” annual event with limitless imagination, will bring together top players in different sectors of the Nigerian economy at the reputable Abelinis Hub – 1, Erinola Salako Street, Behind Excellence Hotel, Ogba, Lagos, Nigeria on Sunday, December 1, 2019. 

The talk about town event will assemble different top players in various sectors under one roof to foster unity and is also positioned to propel winners beyond known boundaries.

The awards night, which will kick off with the Red Carpet by 2p.m and the Event Proper by 4p.m has been packaged for the Nigerian organizations right down to the selected recipients for the exclusive maiden edition. It is also an important meeting and avenue place for the industry watchers to get engaged with who-is-who in different sectors in Nigeria and beyond through ACA, an unfolding success to beat and copy.

“We are focused on high octane media programme, which will further increase the importance of the event, and eventually create consumer empathy for the participants, recipients and players in various industries” says Kanbi Owolabi, the Executive Producer of All Colour Awards in Nigeria.

Checks revealed that the objective of the advisory board and resource team is not to organize just an award but a memorable event that will help the recipients gain strong recognition and consumer empathy as a veritable platform for awardees to leverage and increase their perception profile.

For the records, the All Colour Awards (ACA) project is an exclusive event arranged to unite and amplify Nigeria’s top businesses, connect creativity brands, achievers’ excellence and reward by honouring and promoting the reputable individuals, organizations and brands that have secured high patronage and consumer rating in their respective categories.

The awards categories for the maiden exclusive edition are: Entertainment, Telecommunications, Advertising, Real Estate, Public Service, Banking, Oil & Gas, Hotels/Tourism, Media, Fashion & Style, Insurance, FCMG/Manufacturing, Gaming & Sports, Automobiles, Legal Practitioners and Lifetime Achievements.

The organizers promise an extra merry moments at the All Colour Gig popularly known as the ‘After Party’ for all the recipients/winners, participants and the special guests at a unique lounge to be disclosed at the event venue.

Continue Reading

Trending