Connect with us

Sports

15-year-old tennis star Coco Gauff defeats Venus Williams, 39, at Wimbledon 2019

Published

on

American junior tennis player, Coco Gauff has just defeated, Venus Williams, 39, the big sister of tennis legend, Serena Williams at the ongoing Wimbledon tournament. 


The 15-year-old who is the youngest woman to qualify for the tournament stunned the five-time Wimbledon champion on her debut to a 6-4 6-4 win in the first round of the tournament on Monday.

15-year-old tennis star Coco Gauff defeats Venus Williams, 39, at Wimbledon 2019

Honestly I don’t really know how to feel. That’s the first time I have ever cried after winning a match. I don’t even know how to explain how I feel.

I had to tell myself to stay calm, I have never played on such a big court. I had to remind myself of the lines on the court. Everything around it might be bigger, but the lines are the same.

She just told me congratulations and to keep going and good luck. I told her thank you for everything. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for her, she is so inspiring and I always wanted to tell her that, even though I met her before I didn’t have the guts to tell her then.

I know my parents are super happy, my dad was jumping up every time I won a point.

I am literally living my dream right now and not many people get to say that.

Speaking on Williams, she said:’I told her thank you for everything. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for her’

The Florida born who grew up admiring the Williams sisters is the 12th youngest overall to play in the Wimbledon main draw, but the youngest to come through qualifying.  

15-year-old tennis star Coco Gauff defeats Venus Williams, 39, at Wimbledon 2019
Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Sports

AFCON 2019: Cameroon sack Seedorf over poor performance

Published

on

The fallout from the Africa Cup of Nations has continued apace this week, with Cameroon coach Clarence Seedorf shown the door on live TV, and two others also getting the sack.

Paul Put was fired by Guinea on Monday despite his side reaching the last 16, while Ricardo Mannetti has not had his contract renewed after Namibia lost all three group games.

This, added to the coaches of hosts Egypt, Tanzania, and Uganda also losing their posts in the wake of disappointing returns, has ensured a job free-for-all on the continent.

Seedorf’s sacking was announced by Cameroon’s minister of sport, Narcisse Mouelle Kombi, on Tuesday, after the defending champions exited the tournament to Nigeria in the round of 16.

Kombi did not mince words on CRTV, saying, “Him staying seems problematic to me. I asked the president of the FA to notify him in accordance with the provisions of his contract.

“Our national team played in an inefficient, monotonous and predictable way. There was no real leader in the squad.

Continue Reading

Sports

Dangote, Otedola promises Super Eagles $75k (N27m) for each goal in remaining AFCON matches

Published

on

The Super Eagles of Nigeria have gotten a major boost in their 2019 African Cup of Nations campaign, as Nigerian billionaires, Aliko Dangote and Femi Otedola have pledged $75,000 for every goal scored in their remaining games. 

The Super Eagles team had earlier gotten $75,000 from Aiteo Group, for the three goals scored in their 3-2 victory over Cameroon in the Round of 16. Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu gave each player $5,000, while Hosea Wells Okunbo, a businessman, promised $20,000 per player. 

As they take on Algeria on Sunday in the Semi-Final Match of the 2019 AFCON, Dangote has promised $50,000 per goal, while Otedola pledged the sum of $25,000 for each goal scored. 

Continue Reading

Sports

‘I’m calling the shots’ – Andy Ruiz says he will refuse a rematch with Anthony Joshua in the UK

Published

on

The rematch between Andy Ruiz Jr and Anthony Joshua may not be happening in the UK, as the Mexican-American heavyweight is pushing for the fight to take place in either of his two home countries. 

Andy Ruiz had claimed the WBA, IBF and WBO titles, after he defeated Anthony Joshua in a fight which took place in Madison Square, New York, United States. Speaking to TMZ Sports on plans about the rematch, he said; 

“I haven’t talked to him, but I’m pretty sure he’s training hard for the rematch and so am I. I want the rematch to be in Mexico or New York City again, Vegas, or here [in LA].”

When asked if the Nigerian-born British boxer will agree to this, he said; 

 “It doesn’t matter because I’m the champion… I’m calling the shots… We’re the A-side.”

This contradicts fight promoter, Eddie Hearn’s claim that Anthony Joshua will have the final say over where the rematch takes place.

The Nigerian-born British boxer is in Nigeria at the moment.

Continue Reading

Trending